Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A friend gives and receives wounds....

"For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer." (Isaiah 54:7,8)

My holiday reading includes "The Cry of the Soul - How our Emotions reveal our deepest questions about God". The book talks about righteous anger - it warns, invites, and wounds for the greater work of redemption. The authors quote Frederick Buechner, a hero of mine: "a friend is one who gives and receives wounds".

Ah the fear of vulnerability - we so often fear people will not like us, if they know who we are. A friend knows, stays and encourages us on - can truthfully go to that place, acknowledge and work together for change. Truth-telling in relationships is a sensitive issue - it does bring life however if we would dare to build relationship.

Today is August 8 and I say happy birthday to my sister - Cathie Koehnen. Energetic, creative, seeking God full on. Happy Birthday Cathie - I thank God for you - who you are and who you are becoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home