Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Boiling a frog in a kettle...


I shared this phrase with a friend yesterday, it was only the second time in his life he had heard, the first time was earlier in the day.


If you but a frog in a kettle and slowly boil the water it will acclimatize itself, adjust to its surrounding and be boiled/cooked. Slowly, imperceptibly, changed - in this cas for bad.


A commentary on the insidous influences around us in our world which take us captive, without us even being aware. Advertising, technology, peer pressure are only a few.


On the flip side, we can be changing slowly, and imperceptibly for the good, unaware of the positive changes because of God's grace, and his movement in our lives.


Two years ago icons, spiritual directors, prayer labyrinths, Jesus Prayer, Examen, Pilgrimage, centring prayer, silence, solitude were just ideas, words, or maybe even faddish concepts - as I look back, they are a part of my growing, humbling walk with Christ Jesus.


I am grateful, growing - the keeper of the garden of my heart, is redeeming desert places for the Lord I adore.

1 Comments:

Blogger chris wignall said...

I love the positive emphasis you bring to this familiar image. It is very true that often good is worked in our lives subtly as well.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home