Monday, November 22, 2004

Rediscovering Our Roots, Recharting Our Routes

The junction generations understand intuitively that they must live in two worlds. Many have become bilingual speaking the language of the past among their elders and of the future among their peers.

They know just enough of both worlds to know that they are at home in neither. Rootless and restless they wander both worlds as strangers, inexplicably driven by a longing for home.

The wisdom of the past without a vision of the future is irrelevant, or worse still, deadening. But a vision of the future ignorant of the lessons of the past is irresponsible.

Many in the older generations need to face the truth that those younger than themselves hold the keys; many in the younger generations need to admit their need of help. Only as the two stand together will the map of the future be intelligible.

"Beyond the horizon lies the key to a new beginning."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I sat and read this I heard a truth ringing clear though it! I know the dilemma of being between the two worlds, in libido, not being at ease in either. I am in it. Wandering , wondering where do I fit? Where do I go? I can't know for sure with out the aid of those who have walked before me. Those now who are investing in me, who are helping me to find my way, not only are they showing me which doors, they are shaping that master key so that when I put it in the right locks it will be effective.

May I not be Shapeless, but may God use those before me to mould me.
-Matt

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Ivany,

I'm not sure what it is I want to say, so bear with my thoughts because they'll probably be jumbled! :)

I think you should know that you have hit the nail on the head with this one. Maybe others don't feel the same way but the truth in your words resounds in my heart. I've lived my whole life naive to the fact that those older than me need to influence my life. It's always been easier to not attatch myself to others incase I would have to move again, especially those older than me because in the twisted logic of my mind they're only going to pass away before I do.

However, you don't need my life story, really I just wanted to let you know that God has used your words and thoughts to open my eyes - to which I am thankful.

This thing we call life is definetly easier to do together. What a great journey!
God Bless.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
Thanks for your insightful thoughts & comments. I liked your thoughts about vision, future & lessons.

What really resonated with me is your comment on how those generations need to work together. In the existing structure, the power & control is held by the older generations. If as you say the younger generation holds the keys, what's our game plan to encourage, support, train, resource & set free that generation to pursue that vision that that God has given them?
You're right, they can't do it on their own. They need the wisdom, support & experience to help guide & shape them.
Can the hand of power & control be opened up, are we ready to be flexible to make this happen? How does it happen?

I look forward to more thoughts about how we can walk that out & actualize that vision and "new beginning."

Clint @ Cariboo Hill

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home